Monday, September 29, 2008

Blog, blog blog, blog blog, blog… Yeah – hmmm, well ah --- okay, so it’s been a while. Okay, even a long while. To say I’ve been busy would be a trite excuse, we’ve all been busy (and most of you are much busier than I.) To be a little more honest – I’ve spent a great deal of my online time lately reading other people’s blogs. So, as well as keeping me up on all of you, its kept me from writing anything for you to read. Besides that, I’ve been a little (ok a lot), intimidated. Some of you have such insightful things to say, others have just so much more pizzazz in your presentation. (Waa! Waa!)

I know, I know, I am not supposed to compare myself to anyone else but who doesn’t at times? (Tell me you never compare and we’ll both know you are lying.)

I haven’t blogged about my Curves adventure mainly because my results haven’t been phenomenal in fact they are just barely even mentionable. I think I can finally say I’ve lost 10 lbs. I’ll do the official weigh and measure next week and we’ll find out. (UGH!!!) It is SO like a test and I really don’t like tests. Now, if I am sure I’ll pass with a 100 and maybe even get extra credit…no problem I’ll take one every day. However, if there is a chance that I will miss a point, I despise the test…(its hard to want perfection from yourself and not be able to deliver). Hmmm, sounds like another character flaw.

Going to Curves though has been fun. There are many different women to meet and visit with and if not for Curves our paths would probably not have crossed. There are several machines that are quite the challenge and others that we just all agree we hate. But overall the atmosphere is upbeat, positive, fun and full of camaraderie. Even if you can only do 2 squats you can feel good about it. There’s always someone there to encourage you on, even when you just don’t want to keep going.

HURRICANE IKE


YIKES!!! IKE WAS HERE!


Overall, I think most of us will agree we were all very blessed. At my house we only had the discomfort and inconvenience of no power (which for us also meant no running water) for 6 days. And while the refrigerator and freezer are currently bare (we haven’t shopped yet) we aren’t going hungry nor or we likely to. My roof is still intact and the trees in my yard still stand. I am blessed.

Its been a time to reacquaint ourselves with our neighbors and friends. We move about so fast paced that often we lose touch with those around us. We gave our meat to a friend that had more mouths to feed than just Chris and I. Another who had hot running water allowed us the privilege of taking a shower at their home. Several others offered. I’ve seen strangers helping strangers with the tree(s) across their houses or yards. The strong spirit of resilience in our community is something awesome to behold.

We were living in Houston with a new born baby when Alicia hit the Houston area. It was quite the wild experience then too...but not like Ike. We only didn't have electricity for half a day then.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our many mouths appreciated having the meat to eat!!!

Carrie Blair said...

Finally!!! Ha ha! I totally understand the intimidation thing. Also, we were super glad to be one of the ones to offer a hot shower. :) We love ya'll and hope you and Bro. Chris are doing well. Have a wonderful week!